The USA Marketplace
- Stones up to 1carat, and 5 carats to 6 carats are sold well.
- Demand was strongest for VS2-SI2, F through J color.
- Round sales steady, with ovals en princesses most popular for fancy shapes.
- Wholesalers noted that buyers were seeking steep discounts.
- India Diamond Week had buyers looking for stones between 1 carat and 3 carats.
- Some interest in emerald and pear shapes at the show, with ovals being the hottest.
- Buyers were requesting GIA goods, in the VS and SI ranges in colors G through K.
The Hong Kong Marketplace
- Customers are generally buying less and buying smaller pieces.
- Well-designed fashion jewelry at lower price points with smaller stones continues to do well.
- There is a shortage of 2-carat to 3-carat fancy shapes and goods in VS and SI quality as wholesalers sell existing stock.
- A slight pick-up in the market was seen for goods on order over the Christmas period along with a slight increase of 3 percent to 4 percent int he price for diamonds weighing less than a carat.
The India Marketplace
- Positive sentiments continue in the market.
- Decent activity seen in VS lower category.
- Good demand observed in 0,30 carats and 0,40 carats.
- Polished prices remainsfirm due to shortages in supply as production is below capacity.
The Antwerp Marketplace
- Everything is selling, especially for cash. More than ever, cash means a discount.
- Cash and liquidity issuesare being seen across the world.
- In general, small goods below 10-pointers are a little less easy to move.
- A shortage of over 10 carats is being felt across the pipeline.
- Russia is expected to weaken as a market for colored diamonds, mainly duet o the depreciation of the ruble against the US dollar. Saudi Arabia will also suffer should the oil market remain depressed.
(Bron: Rapaport February 2016)